How to build CL using CL in with debug symbols

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
marfi
CodeLite Expert

How to build CL using CL in with debug symbols

Post by marfi »

Hi Eran,
I'd like to ask you how can I build CL itself in CL with enabled debug on Ubuntu 9.04. I suppose I must configure makefiles first, so I invoked the "configure" script with "enable_debug=yes" parameter and run the build workspace from the CL, but the build process failed with many errors dealing with undefined symbols. Makefiles generated without debug support work fine.

Regards
Michal
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: How to build CL using CL in with debug symbols

Post by eranif »

marfi wrote:I suppose I must configure makefiles first, so I invoked the "configure" script with "enable_debug=yes"
You mean: --enable-debug and not enable_debug=yes, you can run ./configure --help for more details.

If you still get errors, then you should make sure that you have installed wxWidgets with debug version.

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
marfi
CodeLite Expert

Post by marfi »

I tried to use "./configure --enable-debug" command, but it behaves just like the previous one. The build process failes immediately with these errors:

Code: Select all

----------Build Started--------
"make"  -j 2 -f "CodeFormatter.mk"
----------Building project:[ CodeFormatter - DebugUnicode ]----------
g++ -c  "/home/michal/Src/Projekty/CodeLite/CodeFormatter/codeformatter.cpp" -g -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-debug-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXDEBUG__ -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -D__WX__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DYY_NEVER_INTERACTIVE=1 -DASTYLE_LIB  -o ./DebugUnicode/codeformatter.o "-I." "-I." "-I../Interfaces" "-I../CodeLite" "-I../Plugin" "-I../sdk/wxscintilla/include" 
g++ -c  "/home/michal/Src/Projekty/CodeLite/CodeFormatter/formatoptions.cpp" -g -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-debug-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXDEBUG__ -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -D__WX__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DYY_NEVER_INTERACTIVE=1 -DASTYLE_LIB  -o ./DebugUnicode/formatoptions.o "-I." "-I." "-I../Interfaces" "-I../CodeLite" "-I../Plugin" "-I../sdk/wxscintilla/include" 
In file included from ../CodeLite/entry.h:28,
                 from ../Interfaces/ieditor.h:32,
                 from ../Interfaces/imanager.h:29,
                 from ../Interfaces/plugin.h:28,
                 from ../Plugin/editor_config.h:36,
                 from /home/michal/Src/Projekty/CodeLite/CodeFormatter/codeformatter.cpp:26:
../CodeLite/db_record.h:28:26: error: wx/wxsqlite3.h: No such file or directory
g++ -c  "/home/michal/Src/Projekty/CodeLite/CodeFormatter/astyle_main.cpp" -g -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-debug-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXDEBUG__ -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -D__WX__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DYY_NEVER_INTERACTIVE=1 -DASTYLE_LIB  -o ./DebugUnicode/astyle_main.o "-I." "-I." "-I../Interfaces" "-I../CodeLite" "-I../Plugin" "-I../sdk/wxscintilla/include" 
g++ -c  "/home/michal/Src/Projekty/CodeLite/CodeFormatter/ASBeautifier.cpp" -g -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-debug-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXDEBUG__ -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -D__WX__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DYY_NEVER_INTERACTIVE=1 -DASTYLE_LIB  -o ./DebugUnicode/ASBeautifier.o "-I." "-I." "-I../Interfaces" "-I../CodeLite" "-I../Plugin" "-I../sdk/wxscintilla/include" 
In file included from ../CodeLite/entry.h:28,
                 from ../Interfaces/ieditor.h:32,
../CodeLite/db_record.h:70: error: ‘wxSQLite3Statement’ has not been declared
../CodeLite/db_record.h:77: error: ‘wxSQLite3Statement’ has not been declared
../CodeLite/db_record.h:84: error: ‘wxSQLite3Statement’ has not been declared
In file included from ../Interfaces/ieditor.h:32,
../CodeLite/entry.h:98: error: expected `)' before ‘&’ token
../CodeLite/entry.h:258: error: ‘wxSQLite3Statement’ has not been declared
../CodeLite/entry.h:265: error: ‘wxSQLite3Statement’ has not been declared
../CodeLite/entry.h:272: error: ‘wxSQLite3Statement’ has not been declared
In file included from ../Plugin/editor_config.h:36,
../Interfaces/plugin.h: In member function ‘virtual wxBitmap IPlugin::LoadBitmapFile(const wxString&, wxBitmapType)’:
../Interfaces/plugin.h:233: error: ‘PLUGINS_DIR’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [DebugUnicode/codeformatter.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
----------Build Ended----------
I have got installed both release and debug versions of wxWidgets library (wx-config script uses the release version in default) and I use both of them without problems in my projects.

Btw, I've implemented the categorized version of new project dialog (we discussed it here :http://codelite.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=510 ) so I'll send the patch together with some extra templates to you soon (I used "InternalType" propety as you suggested).

Regards
Michal
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

marfi wrote:I tried to use "./configure --enable-debug" command, but it behaves just like the previous one. The build process failes immediately with these errors:
I see the problem. You are running configure, but using the generated makefile of codelite... those are 2 different build methods.

When running './configure --enable-debug' the next command should be 'make'

If you want to do it from within codelite:
1) Select the configuration named 'Unix_Mac_Custom_Makefile'
2) Set project 'LiteEditor' to be active
3) Right click on project 'LiteEditor' and select 'Custom Build Targets -> configure --enable-debug' - this will generate the makefile with debug support
4) Hit F7

To build the release version:
In the above step 3, select 'Custom Build Targets -> configure' - this will generate makefile for release version

Hope it is cleared now.
marfi wrote:Btw, I've implemented the categorized version of new project dialog (we discussed it here :http://codelite.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=510 ) so I'll send the patch together with some extra templates to you soon (I used "InternalType" propety as you suggested).
Sure, send it over so I could have a look at it, and hopefully commit it

Thanks,
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread