"Done. Please run 'sudo make install'" missing

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
foxmuldr
CodeLite Expert

"Done. Please run 'sudo make install'" missing

Post by foxmuldr »

The "please run sudo make install" message is missing on my Dual-core Pentium-D 10.04 notebook, using 5243 and 5245, after the clean and rebuild is complete.

I thought this was feature of newer versions, but when I copied my codelite/source directory to another machine (an Acer Aspire Atom-based 1.6GHz Ubuntu 10.04), it compiled Codelite (in 1.75 hours!!), and DID produce the message at the end.

Is there something I'm doing wrong on the one notebook to miss the message?

I've also had some notable difficulties compiling recently. Is there a way to know which updates are considered stable for download from SVN? Also, is there a way in Codelite through the GUI to specifically revert to a numbered version without using the command line?

Thanks!
Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
www.Visual-FreePro.org
www.LibSF.org
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: "Done. Please run 'sudo make install'" missing

Post by eranif »

foxmuldr wrote:The "please run sudo make install" message is missing on my Dual-core Pentium-D 10.04 notebook
This message is just a message, nothing more. The fact that it is not there does not mean the compilation ended with an error..
foxmuldr wrote:Is there something I'm doing wrong on the one notebook to miss the message?
You are giving it too much attention ;) - don't.
foxmuldr wrote:I've also had some notable difficulties compiling recently.
There are some problems with using -j N recently (not to me, but thats what I have heard)

codelite is stable, if it fails with an error (other than linking error caused by bad makefile timing issue that can be solved by re-running make again) - please report it.
foxmuldr wrote:Also, is there a way in Codelite through the GUI to specifically revert to a numbered version without using the command line?
No. But It is on my TODO list to make this via the GUI

You might want to install color-gcc to make makefile more "pleasant" when compiliing from the command line

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install colorgcc
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
foxmuldr
CodeLite Expert

Post by foxmuldr »

eranif wrote:The fact that it is not there does not mean the compilation ended with an error.
Correct. It installs fine after completing.
eranif wrote:There are some problems with using -j N recently (not to me, but thats what I have heard)
It it a GNU make issue then? I do remember on my 6-core machine, I had to hard-code it to -j4 or it would fail regularly. That's been a year ago even.
eranif wrote:codelite is stable, if it fails with an error (other than linking error caused by bad makefile timing issue that can be solved by re-running make again) - please report it.
The error I'm having now I have not been able to fix. But, I've also tried several things to fix it and in the process may have inadvertently broken something. I'm going back to my other-machine's 5245 copy and see if I can get that one to compile after restoring it to this machine (since I know it does compile properly as it is).
eranif wrote:
foxmuldr wrote:Also, is there a way in Codelite through the GUI to specifically revert to a numbered version without using the command line?
No. But It is on my TODO list to make this via the GUI
Is it a simple dialog box input, and then tagging the wxString input value onto an issued command? If so, point me in the right direction and I'll add it.
eranif wrote:You might want to install color-gcc to make makefile more "pleasant" when compiliing from the command line

sudo apt-get install colorgcc
Thanks!
Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
www.Visual-FreePro.org
www.LibSF.org
foxmuldr
CodeLite Expert

Post by foxmuldr »

colorgcc is nice. :D
Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
www.Visual-FreePro.org
www.LibSF.org
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

foxmuldr wrote:Is it a simple dialog box input, and then tagging the wxString input value onto an issued command? If so, point me in the right direction and I'll add it.
Its a bit more complicated (not much though)
Since SVN does not really support a 'revert to revision' functionality, we achieve this by creating a reverted patch and then applying it

something like:

create a patch that reverts from revision 6000 -> 5000

svn diff <file> -r6000:5000 > patch
Review the patch and finally, apply it:

patch -p0 < patch
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
foxmuldr
CodeLite Expert

Post by foxmuldr »

eranif wrote:create a patch that reverts from revision 6000 -> 5000

svn diff <file> -r6000:5000 > patch
Review the patch and finally, apply it:

patch -p0 < patch
Any desire to switch Codelite over to git? :P GitHub offers free accounts for public repositories.
Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
www.Visual-FreePro.org
www.LibSF.org
foxmuldr
CodeLite Expert

Post by foxmuldr »

Eran,

Okay. Twice now I've run into this same problem. It stops building, saying that a dependency is not satisfied. This happens 3 source files in. A reboot fixes it. But nothing short of a reboot fixes it.

Also, today when I was making those changes for the patch I sent you, I was getting the "Done. Please run sudo make install" message when I was running regular builds.
Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin
www.Visual-FreePro.org
www.LibSF.org