debug quick watch request plus 1 possible solution patch

Discussion about CodeLite development process and patches
dlh
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

debug quick watch request plus 1 possible solution patch

Post by dlh »

request: Provide a means of opening tree branches for viewing without requiring mouse clicks, based on mouse flyover only.

reason: It's a little easier/quicker to work with when using a touchpad where mouse buttons require "excessive" hand/finger motion.

One possible solution contained in svn diff against svn rev3686 files.

operation: Moving mouse over text of collapsed tree branch will result in expansion of that tree branch. In general, only one expansion path of a tree is kept open, if you move to open new branch, other branches under same parent will be collapsed. (I don't think this is a completely accurate description, best to just apply patch and try it.)

I don't completely like it, due to some jumpiness that can occur, I think due to the way the tree control handles expanding/collapsing and repositioning the tree within the window, when the expansion and resulting redisplay causes the branch that initiated the expansion to be moved out from under where the mouse is. (What I'd like better I'm not yet knowledgeable enough about wxwidgets to accomplish, possible overlaying borderless windows, where the next level up would always be available "just beyond" the last overlay displayed.) But I do like it better than having to move hand/fingers for touchpad buttons. It's also more of a problem on larger structures (such as wxMenu) than smaller structures (wxString).

caveats: I'm new to both codelite, wxwidgets, and generating diff patches. Only tried on windows, but I think the changes are basic wxwidgets implementation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: debug quick watch request plus 1 possible solution patch

Post by eranif »

Hi,

I tried to apply the patch but failed.

Please try generating the patch like this:

From codelite source tree, run svn diff > codelite.patch

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
dlh
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by dlh »

OK - first attempt was done from inside LiteEditor sub-directory, I think.

This one is done from one level above that, hopefully this will work for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

dlh wrote:This one is done from one level above that, hopefully this will work for you.
The patch worked fine. However, I did not like the result (the tip was "jumpy")

BUT, I did like the idea, so I took the liberty to implement it a bit differently:

Rather than expanding the items in the 'OnMouseMotion' event, I added a timer so now the item is expanded only if the user
hovers the same item for more than 500ms - this way I can move my mouse around without expanding every item that hits in its way :)

In addition, I made this functionality optional by adding new flag to the 'Settings > Debugger Settings' dialog (under the 'Debugger Tooltip' section)

It works nice now.

You can update your SVN sources and give it a try

Thanks!
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread